Blogging is a great way to “think your way into a subject and make it your own” and to have fun at the same time. Whether you write about your life, your friends, schoolwork, serious stuff, fun stuff, or flights of fancy, the very act of putting your thoughts into words will help you learn to think more deeply.
On this page, I’ve organized my best posts into categories, so you can go through them step by step and learn all about blogging at your own pace. Feel free to skip around, reading whatever sounds interesting to you.
The extra spots in each list are for future posts — there’s always more to learn, right? So please, if there’s any topic you’d like me to write about, let me know, either by posting a comment or by using the email form on my About TeacherMom page.
[Note: If you work your way through 12 or more of these posts and use the tips to improve your own blog, feel free to Grab a Sidebar Badge for yourself. You will have earned it!]
What is a Blog?
- Blogging? What’s That?
- FREE Homeschool Blogging Correspondence Course
- What is a Student Blog?
- Why WordPress.com?
- How To Make (and Remember!) a Strong Password
- What is RSS?
Blogging 101 Lessons
- Blogging 101: Introduction
- Blogging 101: Getting Started
- Blogging 101: First Steps
- Blogging 101: Let’s Write!
- Blogging 2 Learn “Grading” Rubric
- Blogging 101: Want More Blog Traffic? Be Useful!
- Co-op Class Schedule: Follow the lessons from my 2010 homeschool co-op class. Minor details (such as the exact location of WordPress.com blog settings) will have changed, but the basic guidelines and tips still apply.
Brainstorming: What to Write About
- What Can I Write About?
- What Keeps You From Writing?
- Free Mind Mapping Software
- What is Your Message?
- How Can You Improve Your Blog Today?
- Conquer Writer’s Block
- “Going Viral” Has Nothing to Do with Swine Flu
Copyright and Plagiarism
Writing Tips and Tricks
- Proofreading: More to Love
- How to Avoid Accidents
- Improve Your Blog with These Writing Tips
- How to Teach Writing: Best Ideas from the Comments
- Favorite Fumblerules of Grammar
- 15 Grammar Goofs That Make You Look Silly
- Why You Can’t Trust Your Spell-Checker
Make It Easy for Your Reader!
- Reader-Friendly Editing and Format
- More Reader-Friendly Editing
- The Sidebar is for Your Readers
- Sidebar Widgets
- Finding New Readers
Giving and Getting Comments
- Introduction to HTML
- Comments, Comments, and More Comments
- Watch Out for Spam Comments
- More Comment Spam
Photos and Other Extras
- Adding Photos & Giving Credit
- How to Navigate the New Flickr
- Signs of Spring (How To Make a Slide Show)
- Photos, Videos, & Giving Credit Where It’s Due
- How To Add a Poll
- How to Add a Custom Header
- Photography Tips from a Student Blogger
- Photo Blogging Tips from a Student Blogger
Let’s Have Some Fun!
- Homeschool Kids Carnival — with Sidebar Buttons!
(and check out the more recent carnivals, too)
- Spilling Ink: Cool Bookmarks
- Challenge Yourself to Blog
- Dragon Writing Prompts
- More Fun with Wordle
- Let it Snow!
- More SPAM
- Paragraphy Puzzle
- Grab a Sidebar Badge
- Plinky Writing Prompts
- Celebrate A Blogiversary
- My New Toy: Flag Counter
- Blogging with a Cat
Tips for Advanced Bloggers
- Introduction to HTML
- Organization (Categories and Tags)
- How to Save Time with Quick Edit
- Organize Your Blogroll with Link Categories
- Show Off Your Best Stuff
- Use a Custom Menu to Highlight Your Favorite Things
- Add a New User to Your Blog
- Changing the Front Page of My Blog
- New Fantasy Fiction Book by 13yo Homeschooler
- Banished: First Published Review
- “Let’s Play Math!” Beta Edition Published
- Homeschool Self-Publisher: Pictures on Kindle