Beginning in January, I will teach a 4th-12th grade Blogging 2 Learn class through our local homeschool co-op. For now, this is my research blog, testing ideas and trying to imagine myself as a new blogger.
I expect to discuss things like:
- What is a blog, and how is it different from a normal website?
- What types of things can I put on a blog?
- Step by step, how should a beginner get started?
- How do I tweak the settings, widgets, etc.?
- Where can I get ideas to write about?
- How do I get people to read my blog?
We will do a bit of work with HTML, too, I think — although this morning I discovered the “Kitchen Sink” button on WordPress.com’s Edit Post page, so I’m not sure the kids will need to know any HTML for post formatting. It’s still necessary in comments, though, so we’ll at least hit the basics.
Have you used blogs with your students? If so, I would love to hear your suggestions and comments. And whether you are an experienced or a wanna-be blogger, please share: What do you think a Blogging to Learn class should cover?